Avocados are in season in Nigeria and as a Nigerian fitness and nutrition expert, I’m so glad as it has several benefits. Some befits of avocado are:
A. Avocados contain lutein, a carotenoid that works as an antioxidant and helps protect against eye disease.
B. Avocados also contain oleic acid, a fat that activates the part of your brain that makes you feel full.
C. Avocados are rich in both soluble and insoluble fibre which aid proper digestion.
D. They are packed with beneficial mono -unsaturated fat, this slows digestion and helps keep blood sugar from spiking after a meal.
E. Avocados are a rich source of folate (as in folic acid) which is essential for conception and for protecting babies in the womb.
These are just a few benefits.
Here are some ways avocados can be integrated into your meals
1. Eat with boiled/grilled yam/sweet potatoes (My mother-in-law loves this)
2. Mix with fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar and olive or coconut oil to create a heart friendly salad dressing.
3. Add a sprinkling of salt and use as a spread on sandwiches, burgers and wraps
4. Use in fruit and veggie smoothies. It adds a creamy texture that makes a difference.
5. Sprinkle with a little salt and eat! (I like this one best, my children always distort their faces when I do it ?)
Do you have any other way you incorporate avocados in your food? Please share in a comment below.